Conservation Corps Benefits & Housing

Housing – Conservation Corps of AYW do not provide housing for our members. Each member is expected to obtain housing on their own before or during the start of their term of service.

        TxCC & LaCC do provide multiple Housing & Networking resource pages that put our members in contact with other AmeriCorps members to find housing and potential roommates.

        If your home utilities are under the name of yourself or a roommate that is currently on Food Stamps, there is a form you can fill out to reduce your overall monthly utility costs. Click here for more information.

Monthly Living Stipend – before taxes

Crew Members: $1,328

Crew Leaders: $1,628

Education Award – can be used to go to specific schools or repay qualifying student loans.

$6,195 for a 1700 hour term (11 months)

$3,097 for a 900 hour term (6 months)

$1,311 for a 300 hour term (3 months – Summer Crew)

Student Loan Forbearance click here for more info

Health Insurance – for terms longer than 450 hours, if you are not covered by another plan, health insurance is provided at no cost and starts on your first day

Food stamps AmeriCorps members are encouraged to apply for foodstamps during their term of service. The AmeriCorps*State and National program was authorized by the National and Community Service Act of 1990 (NCSA), 42 U.S.C. § 12501 et seq. The NCSA states that allowances, earnings, and payments to participants in AmeriCorps programs “shall not be considered income for the purposes of determining eligibility for and the amount of income transfer and in-kind aid furnished under any Federal or federally-assisted program based on need, other than as provided in the Social Security Act.” 42 U.S.C. § 12637(d). Based on this language, the USDA issued an opinion in 2001 stating that AmeriCorps*State and National benefits are excluded from income for food stamp purposes.