Conservation Corps FAQ

Where will I be based?

We have three offices, each hosting different crew types:

Austin, TX office: Conservation & Disaster Field Crews, Trails Across Texas Crew,  Austin Texas Land Stewards (local projects only)

Houston, TX office: Conservation & Disaster Crews, Coastal Restoration Crews, Houston Environmental Action Team (local projects only)

Baton Rouge, LA office: Louisiana Conservation Corps program

Though we have projects across the region, our members are expected to find housing near their office site.

What kind of work will I be doing?

Texas Conservation Corps projects vary from invasive species management to disaster mitigation. The most complete list we have includes:

Trail Building: Natural Surface, ADA Accessibility, Etc.

Maintenance & Repair

Masonry, Stairs & Retaining Walls

Bridges & Armored Crossings

Benches & Kiosks

Trail Design, Layout & Consultation

Invasive Species Removal

Licensed Herbicide Application

Plantings & Maintenance

Seed Collection

Greenhouse Work

Flora Surveys & Studies

Disaster Response On-Call

Volunteer & Donations Management

Chainsaw Work

GPS Inventory

Fire Fuel Mitigation

Brush Management & Fuel Breaks

Prescribed Burning & Prep.

GIS Data Gathering, Input & Analysis

Tree Care, Planting, & Nursery Work

Fence Installation and Repair

Endangered Species & Habitat Restoration

Erosion Control & Bank Restoration

Check Dams & Swales

Aquifer Recharge-Feature Restoration

Wet Pond Maintenance

Water Quality Monitoring

Creek Clean-Ups

School & Community Gardens

Trail Building Workshops

Watershed Model Demonstrations

Volunteer Management

Is previous conservation experience required?

Crew Leader applicants must have at least 5 months of trail, habitat restoration, invasive species management or similar experience.

Crew Member applications require no previous experience!

How many people are on a crew?

Conservation Corps crews typically consist of 10 AmeriCorps members: two Crew Leaders & eight Crew Members. COVID-19 adaptations have included reduced crew sizes to accommodate social distancing standards. 

How long are service terms?

3 months (300 hour term)  *youth crews only

6 months (900 hour term)

11 months (1700 hour term)

Am I volunteering?

This experience would not be considered volunteering, but a term of service through AmeriCorps (For additional information see the AmeriCorps section)

Do you provide relocation or settle-in allowance? 

Though some AmeriCorps programs (NCCC, FEMAcorps, VISTA) provide relocation and settle-in allowance, we are unable to provide this benefit as an AmeriCorps State & National program

What Certifications does Texas Conservation Corps Offer?

S-212- Wildland Chainsaw Certification (typically only for Crew Leaders)

The American Red Cross Adult First Aid/CPR/AED Certification

The American Red Cross Wilderness First Aid (WFA) Certification (typically only for Crew Leaders)

*ICS 100 – Introduction to Incident Command System

*ICS 200 – ICS for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents

*NIMS 700 – National Incident Management System (NIMS) : An Introduction

*IS-800 – National Response Framework, An Introduction

      *Only required for our Disaster Response Teams (DRT)

Will I be provided with a uniform?

TxCC will provide all members with work shirts and PPE (hard hat, protective glasses, gloves, and ear pro), but it will be up to the member to have full leather boots and canvas or denim work pants (see Gear List)

What does TxCC provide while on hitch?

TxCC provides all kitchen cooking gear, and food while on hitch.  We also have tents, sleeping bags, and sleeping pads that can be rented for your term if you cannot acquire your own